About Me

My photo
South Carolina, United States
Vetsy is my nickname that my family have fondly called me since my childhood. My blog reflects my personal views about the world around me. My topics may be anything that interest me but the majority of it is about my favorite past times...nature and gardening. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment or becoming a follower.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Making Time for Me

 I haven't blogged as much since I went back to college this fall. As one would expect, it  has consumed  quite a bit of my time.  It has been a fun, yet stressful adventure, and the stress is wreaking havoc on my sleeping pattern, and Me- time.

I needed to unwind, and replenish, and this article from " Family Circle Magazine " was right on time.
                                                                   
 
The Benefits of Time for Yourself
Amid a demanding teaching schedule, mothering two young children, and life's inevitable little surprises, Plymouth, Wisconsin-based college professor Alayne Peterson has a special routine she sticks to at least once a week, after the kids are in bed: "I grab whatever I can find to read, run the tub hot, and soak for at least 45 minutes," she says. She always includes her favorite bath salts—different scents depending on the season. "And If I want to dial up the 'luxe,' I'll have a glass of chardonnay."

Ah, "me-time"—so lovely that just reading about it is relaxing. But there's more to this grownup time-out than just chilling out: Taking a break from your daily demands can keep your immune system ticking and ward off the effects of aging, says M.J. Ryan, a life coach and author of AdaptAbility: How to Survive Change You Didn't Ask For. Not only that, you're doing your family a favor.
 
"If you just exhale, what would happen? You have to inhale as well. When you replenish yourself in whatever way works for you, you have physical stamina and emotional resilience—and that is key to good parenting," Ryan says. "Self-care is never selfish."
Happily, 65 percent of the Motherboard Moms we polled at themotherboard.com say they manage to carve out a little me-time every day—and they do so in many different ways. Here are 10 simple and surprising strategies for squeezing in your own personal getaway from the grind.

follow the  link to learn more about the 10 simple ideas to help you gain some me time from " Family Circle"
http://www.familycircle.com/health/stress-relief/making-time-for-me/?sssdmh=dm17.511552&esrc=nwlmb030211&email=2761308136

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on going back to school Vetsy! There's nothing wrong with taking time for yourself. It's nice to see you on your blog every now and then though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you on spring break or just a needed few minutes?
    School is time consuming all by itself - are you also working?
    Finding time to take care of yourself can be hard, but rest is when the body heals. A little exercise, a soak in the tub, a few minutes of tv - whatever makes you feel good is what you need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Angela. I miss blogging, I really love it, so when I catch a little time i try to do a little of it.

    Mya, I wish I were on spring break, the sad thing is, I don't know when that will be, so in the mean time, I got to squeeze in so me time.

    Thank you both for your encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was here earlier today and should have left a comment. I felt badly when you left a comment on mine and I hadn't on yours, but I had clicked on that link and read the ten things, etc. then I went from there. I think I got lost somewhere. At least I know I was lost in deep thought and memories from when I went back to college. I was 40 at the time and everything was so exciting and interesting! I rather envy you of your current studies. I also know that all of it can be so exhausting. I think you have figured it out with the idea of finding some time for yourself. More power to you and best wishes to you during your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vetsy girl !
    My goodness I didn't know you were going back to school .. it is a lot to take on and very stressful so you do NEED "you time" for sure : )
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and YES ! I should have bought some things there .. I loved the rooster and dragonflies .. BIG sigh ! .. winter makes us a bit crazy so I have to be careful not to go over board .. I already made two plant orders from mail order nurseries .. yikes ! LOL
    Good luck with the break .. enjoy your time!
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered where you have been. As a teacher at a university, I know just how much time studies take. Keep up the good work, but keep taking time for yourself, too. cheers. ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbee,Joy,and Ann, Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments. Your supportive comments, gives me a needed boost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you will be able to find time for yourself and at the same time excel in your studies. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find that blogging is actually very relaxing so I include that in my "me" time.
    Keep up the good work with school!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you around! I'm sure school is keeping you very busy. Hopefully once spring weather is here you'll be able to have some "me time" in the garden. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosey and Catherine, you both have it right on the money! blogging and gardening are two of my favorite me times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vetsy,
    Time management is not one of my strengths, especially when I'm taking classes. It sounds like you are doing what you can to find some time for yourself. Yes, it will be nice to spend time in the garden when it warms up.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete