About Me

My photo
South Carolina, United States
Vetsy is my nickname that my family have fondly called me since my childhood. My blog reflects my personal views about the world around me. My topics may be anything that interest me but the majority of it is about my favorite past times...nature and gardening. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment or becoming a follower.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

"X orange and X black makes my kitty a Calico cat"


My little brother found Panini in a garage last year. She was the cutest  little tricolored ball of fluff i had ever seen. I later found out through a blogging friend that these tricolored markings or patches make her something called a Calico cat.

 Calico Cats are mostly female. This is due to the genes for the orange or black color being on the X chromosome.  Female cats have two X chromosomes, while  male cats have an X and Y. Therefore, the mother cat passes the X chromosomes, on to her kittens, while the dad passes either the X or Y, thus determining the kitten's sex.

To be a calico cat, the kitten must have an X chromosome that has the orange color and an X chromosome that has the black color. Male calico cats are genetic anomalies, with XXY chromosomes and are sterile and extremely rare.

Here's more.... A Calico cat has sections of different colors in it's fur. Usually the calico with more white fur also have a larger and more distinct patches of color.  If  the orange and black fur is mixed, the cat is called a tortoiseshell.   Tortosieshells cats, or torties, have little or no white fur.

A variation on the usual calico color pattern  is the " dilute or pastel" calico cat. This type of calico cat gets its name from the fact that its color pattern is " diluted" or pastel" version of the typical colors.  A dilute or pastel calico has a pattern of buff or cream instead of orange and "blue", a slate gray color, instead of black.

1 comment: